Monday, February 11, 2013

Things That Do Not Disappoint

I am disappointed in myself when I realize how long it has been since I have posted a blog here. Oh, I know. And you know too. I have reasons. Excuses, even. Be that as it may, I never intended to let such a gap grow between postings. But once gone, time can't be recaptured so we're moving on here.
By the way, please don't miss my column at http://www.mariashriver.com/blog/2013/02/how-do-you-keep-the-music-playing-nancy-calhoun. Maria is a wonderful advocate for Alzheimer's research and for family support and I love being one of her guides.

It's February and if anything good can be said about that, it is that it is usually predictable. No one expects too much from February. Like today. It is gray, windy and cold. Right. For Arizona, that is. Snow is predicted, inches not feet, and odds are that it won't happen. But one morning last week it was nearly 70 and I sat blissfully on the porch, the warmth spreading through my body, as I smiled into the sun. That is February too.

So I've been thinking about those wonderful things in life that never disappoint. Here are a few from my list and I'd love to hear what some of yours are:

      • YoYo Ma - The man is pure genius, and every note he plays is like the cream center of a chocolate truffle...a really expensive one.
      • Any movie with Dame Judi Dench. I had hoped to look a little like her when I got to be 70 but turned out more like Maggie Smith. Oh well, she's pretty fabulous, if not pretty!
      • Christmas trees
      • Warm croissants and fresh-squeezed (by someone else) orange juice at about 9:30 a.m.
      • A brilliantly-written book you cannot put down and an uninterrupted day (or night) to absorb it into your bloodstream.
      • Lobster anything!
      • A puppy who just wants to lie in your lap and do that looking-up thing.
      • Brahms
      • A well-prepared margarita, warm tortilla chips, delicious salsa and a beach
      • A foot massage
      • A great TV series that you can't get out of your mind...Breaking Bad, Doc Martin, Downton Abbey...
      • Mary Oliver poetry
      • Live performance in a small venue - like an SCFPA concert
      • Someone you love who never needs you to explain, and vice versa.
      • Shoes that look great and never hurt your feet...I mean I'll bet that would be great!
      • Videos of great and grandchildren...always does it for me!
Will you share some of your favorite things that never disappoint? I hope you will.

Wouldn't it be great if life were composed only of those things? No, of course not. That's how we thought when we were children. It even seemed possible then. We learned that life is this amazing path of hills and vallies, rising and falling with what seems like capricious, sometimes vicious, cycles of events that teach us about our humanity. Always something to learn just around the next bend.

10 comments:

  1. --Holding a new baby (got to hold the newest member of our family today - 3 1/2 week old Aaron!)
    --Salted caramel ice cream
    --Bubble bath with a glass of wine
    --A really good belly laugh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that! I have yet to get me some of that Aaron and the salted caramel, but I do love the bubble bath and the belly laugh! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. Now I'm going to spend a little time making a list of favorite things...will post when I get it together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here 'tis:
    Hot tea with milk and lemon
    Warm showers
    Frank Sinatra
    Watching the rain from the window in a cozy room
    Champagne
    Just about any movie with Johnny Depp
    Hugs from my grandsons who are 6'2"
    Crême anglais
    Oh, now I'm getting started...thanks for this Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you all the way except for...wait for it...I can't stand Johnny Depp! I know that practically makes me unfit for popular society but can't help it. Just don't see the appeal. But bring on the tunes, the chips and the trips! We really MUST meet sometime!

      Delete
  4. A Gershwin tune...a Cole Porter tune...an Irving Berlin tune. New York in June, potato chips, moonlight and motor trips...I'm going to stop and get a cup of tea with milk and honey. That was a typo above--I don't put BOTH milk and lemon in my tea. Lemon usually when I have a cold, which is not one of my favorite things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I left out cotton socks and chocolate chip cookies (made from the recipe on the Nestle's package).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adolescent grandchildren finding their way into the world and themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are more beautiful than Maggie Smith ever dreamed of being. Sending you lots and lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. - Fried clams & vanilla malts. (Not mixed--but together.)
    - 7-layer taco dip (from scratch - not the "fresh" supermaket variety)
    - Don Julio 1942 añejo tequila - straight up
    - A warm, late-summer boat trip (or anything, really) in Watervale, MI
    - My kids hugging eachother (for as long as that will last)
    - Michael Stearns music
    - A Saturday afternoon nap (with windows open, weather permitting)
    - A good blog that gets me *on* my arse to update my own!

    ReplyDelete