Sunday, July 1, 2012

I'll Have What She's Having!

The tributes to Nora Ephron on most major TV stations following her death this week left me quite touched. I've always been a huge fan of her work and often imagined how great it would be to have her as a girlfriend! At the very least, I would have loved to be seated next to her at a dinner party. In my fantasy, I convince her of what a great girlfriend I would be!

Her movies are among the ones we watch over and over and recite the dialogue as it happens...annoying to anyone but us! (Sleepless, Harry/Sally, Heartburn) I don't know of anything she ever did that didn't seem brilliant and inspired to me, such as romantic comedies that were never cloying and memoirs that had me talking to the page, saying things like "I know, I know. I feel that way, too!" I felt exactly this way when I had teenagers: "When your children are teenagers, it's important to have a dog so that someone in the house is happy to see you." (From "I Feel Bad About My Neck") There is a list of "firsts" that Nora contributed not just to Hollywood but for women in general. She was a breakthrough artist in a town where women were rarely in the forefront of writing and directing.

Most of all, I'd like to tell her that her neck is just fine. It held up that wondrous headfull of bright, witty and translucent characters that she created in her books and films. Perhaps there is a young Nora out there who will someday emerge as the obvious heir apparent. I just can't think who it might be. And part of me hopes there isn't. Some people are meant to be one of a kind, not one of a genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment