Thursday, February 16, 2012

Facing Truth

This dark night is winter chilled, smoke-scented air rising
from fires where families and lovers warm themselves,
assured of their immunity to ruin, hope the tireless undercurrent.
 
This dark night I bind myself to memory of the time before,
when pain and grief fit within my palm, and songs of sorrow
lay unsuspecting on my lips, light as a whisper of silk.
 
Here, where no shadows fall, I thrust my hands into the nightspace
and reach for a thread of grace, something like a prayer,
without betrayal or abandonment, just to feel the ground solid

and undeniable, breaking my fall in a gentle descent into truth
where I face the weight of my solitude, and the audacity to be
alone with fear, to know where and where not to put my trust.

3 comments:

  1. As usual, you cut to the quick. You have such a wonderful capacity for baring the truth of your experience it cannot help but touch us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear friend. You are a great source of encouragement and comfort.

      Delete