Monday, November 21, 2011

Holiday Reflection

Thanksgiving, perhaps more than any other holiday, triggers memories from all periods of our lives. In my early childhood, I remember Thanksgiving as the time when I got to see aunts and uncles I never saw any other time. My two uncles, Lucian and Bernie, were rotund and jovial, with pockets full of balloons and other advertising specialties, their joint business. That is the sum total of my knowledge about who my mother's brothers were. Their wives are just vague shadows in my memory. We weren't a close family, as you may have gathered. I searched out a quiet corner to read until dinner was served, returning to my book immediately after.

Another Thanksgiving I remember with some angst, my first as a newly separated single Mom. It even generated a brief reflection, with tongue somewhat in cheek. Seems like someone else's life, some 30 years later.


Holiday Angst

He left days before Thanksgiving and I,
wanting to pretend for the children,
did the usual turkey and pumpkin pie.

I held it together until I made the gravy
and discovered I had lost custody
of the gravy boat.

NC


May you and yours enjoy each other's love and companionship in gratitude for all our many blessings

4 comments:

  1. I was afraid Thanksgiving might make you maudlin. I should have known better! This is a very ambivalent holiday for most of us, who had some idea there was some family somewhere like those in the Norman Rockwell pictures. My Thanksgiving memories are equally divided between pleasant and un.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a blessed Thanksgiving Nancy.. Dot K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy, the poem is too funny (in retrospect)! I am very lucky - I don't remember a bad Thanksgiving, ever. I hope you have a wonderful day, whether its quiet and full of the wide outdoors, or in an over-heated house full of noisy relatives.

    Above all, know you are loved. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read this. Part of me wishes I remembered more about the gravy boat days. Part.

    ReplyDelete