Friday, April 29, 2011

Well done, Will and Kate! (but it's probably a good thing we weren't invited!)

Let me begin by acknowledging that I'm an easy mark for pomp and circumstance, pageantry, marching bands, English boy choirs, organ music, gothic cathedrals and ceremony done with elegance, so you will not be surprised to learn that my DVR was enlisted to capture the royal wedding. I know it was overblown by the media (no big surprise there!) and I can argue the expense and the plethora of silly hats made it a bit nonsensical. I found it utterly charming in so many ways, however, and I feel happy for having indulged my shallow obsessions.

None of that, however, will be the moment I remember from this day. The DVR had been recording for four hours when we woke up at 5 a.m. I turned on the TV and rewound just to the moment that Kate stepped from the Rolls to enter Westminster and began her long walk down the magnificent center aisle. Now, I step back for a moment to ask if you have seen the movie "Four Weddings and a Funeral." It's a favorite of ours and we have seen it many times, always helplessly giggling over Rowan Atkinson's bumbling officiating at the wedding ceremony. So when the Bishop asked William to say "I, William Arthur Philip Louis..." my husband and I almost fell out of bed laughing. I heard that Atkinson was an invited guest but no one in the Abbey seemed to be laughing uncontrollably, so I guess it was just us. We both agreed it was a good thing we were not present, as it took us several minutes to regain our dignified royal wedding decorum! Of course, Wills carried off the moment with great poise, as did Kate. Still, it was the best laugh we've had in a while.

I wish the couple every happiness. Given the shoddy and boorish behavior of his father, and the untimely and tragic death of his mother, I'd say no one deserves happiness more than William. And if you haven't seen 4 Weddings, it's worth a look.

1 comment:

  1. I fell for it after all. She looked beautiful, they appeared to be in love, her dress was elegant, and I loved the choir and the HATS--my dear, the hats! It was all so English, full of whimsy and madness along with the pomp and regalness.

    ReplyDelete