Saturday, January 1, 2011

Hopeful...always hopeful!

Happy New Year, my dear friends and family! May this be a year of health and happiness for us all!

As 2010 slipped away, the TV anchors offered us list after list of the best and worst of the past year. And polls...good heavens, the polls! One that I heard on CNN today is that 63% of Americans are hopeful about the coming year, up 12% from last year. I guess that's a good thing, but I wonder about the alternative. Why would one approach a new year with anything but hope? Yes, we can all think of reasons for skepticism and apprehension, but hope is breath...without it one withers and dies.

Hope is always found amidst chaos, which is a normal and inescapable part of life. If nothing challenging, upsetting or disturbing ever happened to us, life would ultimately bore us and our ambition would surely flatline! I know...you'd like to try it for a while just to be sure. Me too! But when 2011 turns out to be much like 2010, it is good to remember that life has given us so many opportunities, so many blessings, that to be less than hopeful seems ungrateful at the very least. Perhaps a good New Year's resolution would be to get out of our own way and make hopefulness our dominant attitude. I hope, therefore I am!

Here's my first poem of the new year. Cheers all!

Hope

sometimes weak as the January sun,
silent as falling snow,
it lodges deep in the gentle wreckage
of turmoil, sleeps until needed
and emerges in the small of my back
to urge me forward
into the chaos.

hope is the thinnest precipice
where I pause for a shuddering breath
before leaping to a distant
and unseen shore, a blurred
thumbprint where others
have landed and left a trail
that I might follow.


it is the sleeping infant,
the winter tree, the riverbed
that waits for rain, it is language,
it is marriage, it is love.
hope is the mute insistence
that the fragile flame
may flicker but will not die.

No comments:

Post a Comment