Saturday, October 2, 2010

Life's Rough Places

Life can be precarious sometimes, as I'm sure you have noticed. Just when you think you have achieved a balance and are keeping all those plates in the air, you can suddenly find yourself peering over the edge of a dark and daunting place. That is what has happened to me in the last few weeks. What I thought to be a persistent skin rash has been diagnosed as T-Cell Lymphoma. The good news is that it is in the early stage and it is generally considered to be a very slow moving disease. The treatment at this stage is a topical steroidal cream and it may be a long time before anything more aggressive is called for. I have a dermatologist and an oncologist who are in agreement, so for now I think it is under control. Still, it has been frightening and maddening to have to face up to this reality. I am determined to stay informed and simply keep living the best I can and not ask 'why me?' One does not have to look very far to find others who have much more to bear. I am grateful for my wonderful family and friends who have sent me so much love.

And now, I am getting busy on my second book of poetry, "Dance on a Dirt Road, Poems for Life's Rough Places." This has been very motivating as I get deeply absorbed when I write...no room for doom and gloom (I'm a poet, doncha know!). I'm hoping for publication by mid-December and it will be available on Amazon! Better get my backside in gear!

3 comments:

  1. Love you, Grandma!! I'm so proud of you and so thrilled that you're writing another book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about your Amazon deal! That's awesome, Mom! It's going to be my favorite web link.

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go, Mom! I am so proud to be your daughter...you have such determination, strength, resilience, and talent -- and your ability to find joy in the midst of great challenges is so inspiring to me. I can't wait to see your new book!

    Love you to the sky and back!

    ReplyDelete