Friday, August 27, 2010

A Different Kind of Life

It has been four years since we moved to this village in the grasslands of Arizona. We were both "city folk," accustomed, as most of you are, to running down to the supermarket on the corner for a few items, taking a five-minute drive to the mall to take in a movie or do a little retail therapy. We wondered, as some of you did, if we would adjust and enjoy this very different lifestyle. Well, we did and we do. It is different from anything we had known before. Here are a few examples: the Post Office closes for lunch, as does the pharmacy. Restaurants are not all open every day, and it is tricky to remember the schedules. The UPS man occasionally spots me in town and hails me down to give me a package. There is no trash pickup, so every other week or so we haul our accumulated garbage and trash to the landfill, which is sometimes the highlight of the day! The nearest supermarket is 35 miles away and every trip to a doctor (of which there have been many) is a 100-mile roundtrip. I could go on, but you get the idea.

Right now we are enjoying our beautiful monsoon season, with fabulous clouds and stunning green everywhere we look. Around every bend in the road one encounters such breathtaking scenery that it is impossible not to be filled with gratitude. I often must pull off the road to take pictures...the colors, the cows -- it makes me smile! Oh, and pulling off the road is no problem. There probably isn't another vehicle in sight. Yesterday, after loading up at Costco in Tucson in 98 degree heat and humidity, I headed for home where it was 75 and breezy. Just delicious!

What more can I say? I love it here! Come sit on our patio, share a glass of local wine and enjoy the beautiful view.

1 comment:

  1. I love the UPS guy bit!

    I'm so glad you're happy there. And that you CAN still visit Costco when the mood strikes.

    ReplyDelete