Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Jolt of Wonderful News

Sometime last summer, I heard Dr. Maya Angelou speak on the radio about the ways in which women often surprise themselves by stepping out of the boxes to which they are accustomed. I thought to myself that she was telling my story. I was deeply into writing poetry for the first time in my life, surprising myself almost daily, and I decided that if I ever published a book, I would send her a copy.

So in November ‘09, that is exactly what I did, along with a letter that told a bit about my path to poetry. I sent it with very little expectation that she would ever even see it. So you can imagine the shock I felt when the phone rang this morning and the caller ID said “Maya Angelou”! With her beautiful, distinctive voice she introduced herself (as if that were necessary!) and said she had just received the book and letter, had read some of the poems and liked them very much, then asked my permission to send it to her publisher! I’m sure I babbled something only slightly coherent, but she seemed to understand that I was stunned! She made a few more lovely and gracious comments and wished me well. What will happen next I do not know. For now, it is enough. I am filled with joy and excitement…and deep gratitude. I’ll keep you posted. Thanks for all your support.

5 comments:

  1. This is such joyous news. I can't imagine how you must be feeling! Huge congratulations, Mom. Whether it progresses beyond this day or not--I'm so proud of you and I love you loads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After a not-so-great end of 2009, wonderful things are happening now for many of us! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I'm in awe! I adore Maya Angelou and her work...what an thrill and a great surprise for you!

    You're amazing. :) Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just became a "follower". I am a sucker for name droppers.....but are you CERTAIN it was not Maria somebody who phoned you???
    Let me just touch the hem of your gown--or those earrings that are rightfully mine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so neat, Nancy! Bravo!!! What a great phone call!

    ReplyDelete