Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Surprising Myself

Summer is definitely history. This morning was shockingly cold as we let the dogs out, who then wanted right back in. The cool weather is always welcome but we know we will tire of it by March, under the category of "never satisfied for long."

Yesterday, it came to me quite suddenly that I have finally found my life's work. Well, it's about time! Next May I will be 70 years old, and at last I know what I want to be when I grow up. Writing has always been important to me, and I know that I have skills in that area, but the poetry has come as a huge surprise. I just know that I have fallen in love with the form and can't get enough reading and writing.

I'm not fond of giving advice, but my own experience has shown me that I may have something to say to others in my generation. Retirement is wonderful and I dearly enjoy the freedom to design my own days, but it would be a very unsatisfying time of life if I had not discovered a new way to create. I know several things about myself that inform this view: first of all, I have a passion for learning new things, second, my spirit requires creativity in order to breathe. It's always been music, for as long as I can remember. I'm a singer. But, let's face it, sopranos do not go on forever. Poetry lets me sing in a whole new way.

What will you do to surprise yourself? Trust me, it is likely to be something of which you never dreamed. How wonderful!

4 comments:

  1. Go, Mom! I'm so proud of you!

    Hugs,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you and also proud to know you, Nancy. Don't worry, some of us arrive late at finding our life's work.....I'm still searching for mine! I think it is to wander aimlessly across the United States until I finally "stick" somewhere. Of course, I have ALWAYS thought you were talented in so many areas. What a wonderful leader of people you are. I can't wait to hear more poetry, and please let me purchase an autographed copy of your book when it gets published.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! I'm so glad you're bloggin'. :)

    ReplyDelete